Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Questioner

CAN YOU CREATE A NEW IDENTITY?

I believe I can create my own deliberate identity.
Why? Why not?
Here is a story from my mom that created an identity.
“In the beginning was the word,” and most of them came from my mom. One of my earliest memories is of finding a Bible.
We lived in a 24’ trailer. I was three of four years old. Mom was pregnant with a child she would miscarry. Our trailer was parked next to the Grand Rhonde River in a trailer park in LaGrande, Oregon. Mom was very protective of her blonde haired, blue-eyed baby boy. This was spring of 1951. I wandered about fifty feet from the trailer, away from the raging river, and found a box of stuff another caravanning occupant abandoned. Looking through the box I found a small red book. It was just my size. I was curious. I took it back to mom and wanted to know what it was.
“This is a very important book. Don’t ever set anything on it. It’s a Bible and contains the story of God and how he created the world.” She said.

I realized the immensity and importance of these statements. This was not about instilling ‘river I’, ‘being quiet’, ‘eat your vegetables’ or ‘potty time.’ My attention was peaked.

“When you grow you are going to read these stories. You will read about God and how he created the world and the first people, Adam and Eve. How they had two boys Cain and Abel and how they found two girls and married.”

It was here that mom paused, and with very soft eyes through her glasses she created an imprint.

“Where did those girls come from?”

So here was an identity that wondered. A permanent door, or at least a window opened into areas of my being and stayed ajar.

Today I am evaluating how I recreated the questioner, and what happened?

Gary C. Smith Public Speaking & Trainings: Helping to sort your identities to know WHO YOU ARE.

No comments: