Sunday, August 3, 2008

Can You Create An Old Identity?

The elder.
In my family it’s me.


I got a lock on the competition,them young whippersnappers will always be that younger.


Last week I ran into age discrimination. The ‘too old’ identity was called attention at a meeting on disability insurance. "Get the insurance now while premiums are low, not like when your Gary's age." It was followed with a Yogi-ism, "Ya know the insurance ya can't afford when you need it."


I felt a slight urge to slip into a Capricornian depression identity, but its my attention, no sense (nonsense) to get my attention fixed on age.


Being the oldster, the old gray haired who’s losing teeth, is a fine identity.


What do I choose to believe about aging?
I’ll explore:
Is Aging what happens when I am not paying attention.
So I contemplate spans of time. A breath, a minute, an hour, day, year, sixty years.

Its only a problem when let my attention fix on being old.



Compared to my house, I am 54 years younger than my house.
I Remember The Shadow of the Tigers Whisker Initiation.
I Remember to use skincare and sunblock.
I Remember some great agers, Sophia Loren. Pablo Casals. George Burns, Cher.
Ah, and the senior discount.
Aging is how things get done.
Aging is free of adjectives, ans, it is.
Intensifying my attention, what is something I haven’t noticed about aging?

Timing is everything, and time is all we really have to play with our attention.

Gary

No comments: