Saturday, May 23, 2009

Laugh away the Cynic

What do you do when you lose something?
What if what you lost is part of you?
Hair, hearing, vision, memory, grace, agility????

Not to worry(which is a good thing to lose) but be concerned, be very concerned if it is your SENSE OF HUMOR.
Private Speaking begins to move into the world of Public Speaking when the humor goes.
What replaces ones sense of humor is the cynic.
The curmudgeon.
The nasty man, older beyond his/her years.
Now the cynic's work is to make all the pieces, the identities that live within us, become pitiful, debased, and not let anyone, especially themselves win.
Many of us have seem him in the mirror, but the cynics observation mode is denial.
"I'm glad I'm not like that."
"Not me.!"
I want to answer the cynic with hope, health, happiness, and humor.
But I need to know this guy, because like all of our identities, they demand to survive.
An identity, once created, does not perish.
They hide, show up at inopportune times.
The cynic identity, who believes it is cast out, returns with a vengeance.
It moves from make wrong, into destroy the game.
For years I have understood that those things we do not appreciate, deny the existence of, refuse to experience, haunt us until they get their place in the sun.
Every hidden identity has its day, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,
the answer comes in the form of appreciation.
Appreciation of those cynic's at work. The older relative, friend of a friend, nasty old guy at the hardware store, AND that nasty old guy in the mirror.
"I have met the enemy, and he is me."
Built into our equation as human beings, nothing is ever lost.
Misplaced or forgotten perhaps, but this blog reminds us that our humor is still alive.
We can laugh at ourselves if only we have a TV-yes watching I Love Lucy will set Fred Mertz, and alll cynic's back in his easy chair.
Believing that as lost as I become in my own web of identities, I can HEE HAW my breath right out of the cynic and back into the comedian in us all.
Thanks Lucy.
























No comments: