Friday, May 1, 2009

May I?

May-may (mâ) verb, auxiliary
Past tense might (mìt)
1. To be allowed or permitted to: May I? Yes, you may. To gain pure mission.
2. Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or possibility: It may rain this afternoon. I may have jury duty today.
3. Used to express a desire or fervent wish: Long may he live! May I be free from jury duty
4. Used to express contingency, purpose, or result in clauses introduced by that or so that: expressing ideas so that the average person may understand

A word that has some deodorizing effect on stinking thinking

A word that both affirms a possibility and offers an out to the possibility.
May often acts as the creator of a dilemma-As in “I may go to the National Speakers Association meeting on Saturday." In this case the dilemma is my ‘stupidity tax’. My term for missing a registration deadline and then having to pay extra to attend.

For the benefit of Private Speaking, does ‘MAY’ fix or free attention?
In this dilemma I am gathering and weighing information.
What value would I receive from attending?
What is the actual monetary tax?
If I didn’t go what value would I receive or give?
How can I take responsibility for my stupidity, or actually my procrastination to appropriately suffer, so as to change behavior and fend back the disease of tomorrow, get what I want, and skip the misery, self abasement, and guilt of being miserable and fixing attention?

The weather is a factor, if it rains as forecasted, what indoor activities would I do at home? I could go to the gym, find a NIA class, or spring clean inside my office.

It’s only $20, to meet and I will hear what the local chapter of NSA has to offer. I will step into a somewhat unknown experience. Experience newness, connect with other speakers, network, find work, spend money, and commute in the rain.

All this because I MAY.
MAY means the choice is mine.
It is a deodorant to should, ought, have to, must.
A possible antidote to self-blame.
I will not try to go, that is nonsense.
And I can, if I choose go.

What could I do, create, alter or change that would HELP ME through this dilemma?
This is why I love how what MAY I Do, and how it transforms into what I WILL Do?

MAY is not a decision, but is a great assistant to the monster of Private Speaking-I decide.
Namaste
Gary

No comments: